The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 is set to become law from April 1, 2020.
- The Order will initially apply to all new tenancies.
- 1st of July 2020 is the likely start date for inspections of electrical installations on new tenancies.
- 1st April 2021 is the likely start date for in all rental properties with existing tenancies.
- Inspections will then have to be carried out at five yearly intervals.
- Copies of the report will have to be provided to prospective tenants on request.
- Copies of the report will have to be provided to new tenants before they move in.
- The check-in report must give the results of the inspection.
- Local councils can demand a copy of the report (this must be provided within seven days of the request).
- Remedial work should be done within 28 days (or sooner if considered urgent).
- Enforcement is by the local authority and can include an order that works be done.
- Failure to comply with the order could result in a civil penalty of up to £30,000.